Sunday, March 29, 2009

Another good writing day turned great...

After finishing Chapter 3 of Vengeance yesterday, I set my sights on trying to get chapter 2 of knaben (which may be titled 'knaben nine' shortly), finished. During one of my breaks, I checked out Amy's new blog post: *Coda*. It was an extension on her 'fanfic' treatise, which in itself was nicely done. Anyway, I sent her the start of knaben saying that this was the character that would most likely show up in her world (Bitter Moon I) if I were to be so inclined to write that. My other purpose was to get some feedback on the story. To make a short story shorter, she sent me some feedback, I sent her a question, she sent me an example.

The problem with getting examples from people who write well is that the story gets in the way of what they are trying to demonstrate. This is exactly what happened with Amy's example. I had to read the thing four times before I could focus on what she was showing me. The result is I have another series of books to read so I can read the one the example came from when it comes out. Anyway, I did a little rewriting, a little more world building, added a tweek here, a gesture there, and a word or two over there.

The result really got me into the story. (the one I'm writing) I was liking it earlier, now I'm really excited about it and loving it. I'm not sure if I'll publish the final version yet or not. It's really an experiment as I intend to explore different genres with the different tasks knaben nine must complete. If I don't publish it, I will share it with friends.

You can check out Amy's blog at writerslane.blogspot.com or do it the easy way and click on Yarning to Write under the blogs I'm following on the left hand side of this page.

It rained again here today and, no, I did not play the CD to cause it. It also rained in Spain today. Whether it rained on the plain in Spain I cannot say. Tomorrow, rain or not, I move on to the fourth chapter of Vengeance. Simon has an appointment with a yellow spider there and I can't keep the spider waiting. She gets very nasty when her appointments are delayed.

1 comment:

  1. Awww gees, Tanner-- you're turning my head with all this praise! knaben is going to be AWESOME! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete